The Executive Chef is responsible for the daily operation of the Kitchen department and is accountable for control of food/labor costs. He or she must also maintain payroll costs and productivity within budgeted guidelines. Oversee implementation and training on new menus and recipes.
Hotel Overview: With magnificent views of majestic Mount Kenya, the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club Resort’s 120 luxuriously appointed hotel rooms, set in over 100 acres of landscaped gardens, offer a unique blend of comfort, relaxation and adventure. Originally the retreat of movie star and Club founder, William Holden, the Club’s illustrious former members have included Winston Churchill and Bing Crosby
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the General Manager, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
· Consistently offers professional, engaging and friendly service
· Approach all encounters with guests and employees in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
· Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Fairmont Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
· Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing the proper uniform and nametag while working.
· Comply at all times with Fairmont standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations
· Follows Hotel’s telephone etiquette standards.
· Follows Occupational Health & Safety regulations
· Ensures adherence to Fairmont’s Code of Ethics
· Ensure equipment and kitchen cleanliness.
· Supervise and approve all culinary schedule
· Assure that all culinary departments have all food items prepared to proper specifications in a timely manner.
· Maintain an effective training program for all employees so that all their time can be productive
· Oversee production of food for adequate level, which do not result in excessive leftovers and waste.
· Make Sous chefs aware of any special products needed for coming functions.
· Attend daily operations meeting and communicate all relevant information to his/her Sous Chefs
· Ensure good communication with the engineering department for follow-up on kitchen related repairs.
· Maintain safe and sanitary working environment
· Teach and supervise culinary employees on operation of kitchen equipment
· Maintain food and labor costs
· Approve of weekly payroll
· Hold monthly staff meetings
· Enforce the uniform and hair codes and personal cleanliness at all times
· Evaluate employee’s performance, conduct performance reviews and apply corrective actions when needed as per Fairmont Standards.
· Must supply their own basic tools of the trade i.e. Chef’s knife, paring knife, peeler
· Other duties as required.
· Previous experience is an asset
· At least 5 years of progressive experience in a hotel or a related field; or a two year college degree and 3 or more related years of experience, or a 4 year college degree and one year of related experience
· Must possess outstanding guest services skills, professional presentation and sophisticated communication skills
· Proficient in the English language (verbal & written), second language is an asset.
· Must be able to handle a multitude of tasks in an intense, ever-changing environment.
· Must be flexible in terms of working hours.
· Must work well in stressful, high-pressure situations.
· Must be physically fit in order to lift items up to 50 pounds.
· Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure.
· Must be effective at handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying, and solving problems as necessary.
To apply for this job please visit www.brightermonday.co.ke.