JOBfrom UNOPS Closing date: 31 Jul 2018
General Background of Project / Assignment
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) supports and facilitates the work of United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), other UN partners, and Governments in some 18 countries and territories affected by explosive-hazards. The UNOPS PSC provides specialized project management services to efficiently support UNMAS in delivering essential work on the ground in emergency, post-conflict and peacekeeping environments with the aim of promoting peace and security, protecting civilians and ensuring long lasting human security.
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the guidance and supervision of the Assets and Logistics Officer and direct supervisor, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to authorized personnel, ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver has a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Summary of Key Functions:
Provision of reliable and secure driving services
Proper use of vehicle
Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
Availability of documents/ supplies
Immediate action in case of accident
· Provides reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of Regional Director/Head of Office, other high-ranking officials and visitors b) collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items; and c) meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required.**
· Ensures proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
· Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tries, etc.; performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean.**
· Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.**
· Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
· High School Diploma with Three (3) years of relevant experience; with a valid driver’s license is required.
· Relevant experience is defined as experience as a driver,
· Knowledge of driving rules and regulations
· Skills in minor vehicle repairs.
· Fluency in English ( reading, writing and speaking ) is required;
· Knowledge of another UN official language is desired.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.